Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Dumbest Idea I Have EVER Had


I don't know what possessed me. Last week at Knit-Nite at the LYS, I saw a beautiful scarf. It had beads knitted into it, and I loved it. "What a great gift idea," I thought. And it is. I'm sure people I would knit them for would love them.

However, each scarf requires 1500 beads. FIFTEEN-HUNDRED!!!!! And how do these beads get in the scarf? Each of these FIFTEEN-HUNDRED beads is threaded onto the yarn, bead by bead, by hand. I've been at it for twenty minutes, I have about thirty beads on the yarn, and I've broken one needle already.

I am visiting older daughter in Austin this weekend, and I offered to watch her three children, to let her have absolute, complete peace and quiet so that she could string all these beads. She said "No," very emphatically.

So now I have NO idea how I am going to accomplish making this scarf. The only thing I can think of is to leave the beads, yarn, needles, and foam pad out on the dining room table, and then to work on it little by little, bead by bead.....for a very long time.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Bloody hell, that's a task and a half. Even before any knitting's done! I think I imagined you bought the yarn with the beads already on. That sounds like TV work right there.

Unknown said...

aren't there 6-year-old slaves in some asian nation that do this kind of work for us??????

knittergran said...

I KNOW! The sad thing is that I didn't realize I had a problem until I wound the yarn into a ball,took it into the kitchen, and put it on the table next to the beads. Then came the "uh,oh."
The beads were made in China---apparently no one there was desperate enough for work to put them on some yarn.

Keeffer said...

If you shipped younger daughter all the stuff, she'd do it. For a price.

hokgardner said...

It's a good thing younger daughter is offering to do it for a price, because there's no way in HELL older daughter will.