Monday, April 20, 2009

46,980 Stitches + 135 cast on + 135 bind off stitches


Yikes!!!

This is the first time I've ever counted the stitches in something I've made, and I don't think I'll do it again...and certainly not before I begin a project. I was just curious.

This is my second Mountain Colors throw in the Northern Lights colorway. I gave the first to older daughter when Elizabeth was born five weeks early, but this one is for me! I love it. It's made of five different fibers in the colorway, alternating four rows of each one with four rows of mohair. It takes a long time to knit, but this one didn't take me as long as the last one did.

THIS time I used some common sense. Before I started the first throw, I had gotten a cool hint from another knitter: to keep a ball of yarn from rolling around, put it in an empty cube box of tissue. Problem solved! So since one is good, six must be even better. I put each of the six balls of yarn (one of the fibers is used double) in its own cube. Big mistake! The throw looked like an octopus missing two limbs and all the yarns kept twisting around each other, annoying me no end.

Do NOT try this at home!

3 comments:

hokgardner said...

You're missing little thought bubbles filled with curse words.

Mary Ellen said...

I love this drawing. If you decide to give up knitting and blogging, you can forge a new career as a cartoonist!

calicobebop said...

OMG - I love this drawing! Sorry the project was such a pain in the butt - but it sure is pretty! Love the colors!