Friday, November 17, 2017

Scandinavia Photos


which I said I would post ages ago, but honestly, photos on Google are so much better than mine!

So here goes:  

The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. Isn't she large?  Isn't she beautiful?

This is not my photo of her.





This is:


Surrounded by tourists. Some on land, some, like us, on a boat.  

She's not all that large, and she's not way out in the water. I think she should be and then she wouldn't have been beheaded at least twice in the past and she wouldn't have had a bikini painted on her during a conservative era in Denmark.


Next:


According to the exhibit at the hotel in Fläm, this was traditional dress in Norway at some point in the past. I never saw anyone wearing these clothes, not a surprise, but what was a surprise was seeing a number of people wearing what was probably traditional dress in Sweden, even whole families of people walking along in traditional dress. Maybe it was some sort of holiday; it was a Sunday, so maybe for church? I don't know, but it was fun to see.


Culture shock, says the caption.



But I think it's genius.



While it is no surprise to see two single beds pushed together to make one king-size bed, it was a surprise to see separate covers for each, and it's brilliant!  Neither sleeper gets strangled by the other one yanking (ahem) the covers over to HIS side of the bed. Once we returned home, I made our bed the same way, but with our existing king-size mattress and one bottom sheet, but two duvets, twin-bed size, for each of us. Success!!!  No more nighttime fights over the covers; no one gets strangled.  


This sculpture in the Vigeland Park is one of the most popular and most photographed. I suppose it is meant to celebrate woman, but when I look at it, I see a woman about to tear her hair out.  (H-is this you?)  Vigeland Park is the world's largest sculpture park by one artist, and has over 200 sculptures by Gustav Vigeland. It also has more rose bushes than I have ever seen in one place and they are beautiful. I suspect that long days of summer sunlight are the biggest factor in their blooming. 




Once again, I took a photo of a strange sign, this one at a gas station in Sweden. Anyone know what this means?


Is it racist?  Is it misogynist? Is it whatever word makes fun of yokels?  Are there yokels in Sweden?

It remains a mystery.

4 comments:

Sallyknit said...

According to google it translates as “proof of love on the throat” and “advantage of tanking unmanned” now you have to translate that!

knittergran said...

I guess it must be the first one. Weird though, in any language?

Sallyknit said...

I’m not sure why pumping the gas yourself is good for the throat. Did you notice the tattoo “Sara forever”.

knittergran said...

Saw the tattoo. The whole thing is a mystery. I can't figure out what it is "selling" even when the text maybe makes sense! I think that the word "throat" was meant as "neck." Dictionary English---ask Anna about it!