Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bits and Pieces

#1 First Class?

My friend and her husband just returned from a seventeen-day vacation in Europe. They made their flight reservations just under a year in advance so that they could use points and get first-class seats. Lovely… On the flight over, when the airlines like you to pretend that it’s night and bedtime, my friend noticed that the man behind her was breathing weirdly. She looked back a few times, but his wife had her eyeshades on and was sleeping soundly. The man appeared to be sleeping also, but breathing noisily.

In the morning, as the plane was about to land, a member of the flight crew announced that all passengers needed to stay in their seats upon landing because a medical team needed to board the plane. The medical crew went to the man behind my friend, and determined that he was dead. His wife kept protesting, saying that he had been “fine just a little while ago.” Apparently not.

The crew whispered to each other but my friend could hear part of the discussion. “We need to get the passengers off the plane.” Everyone was allowed to leave.

I told my friend that at least her vacation could only have gone uphill from that point on. But really, wouldn’t you think that flight attendants in first class—and even in cattle class, for that matter--would at least NOTICE that one of their passengers was no longer among the living? Just a thought.



#2 I Hate to Dust.

I really, really do. I don’t like to do any cleaning, but dusting is my least favorite part of it. I suppose there are people who like to clean, people who really enjoy how wonderful everything looks when the cleaning is finished. Not me. I know that if I can see a big difference between the before and the after, way too much time has elapsed between the two.

I blame this attitude on my parents. My mother went back to work when I reached middle school and as a result, my sister and I were assigned cleaning the whole house on Saturdays. As we cleaned the house, and fought about who was to clean what, my brother got to do the fun stuff outdoors, where we longed to be, like mowing the lawn and raking leaves. #$%^& sexist upbringing!

So that’s why I hate to dust.



#3 Why I Shouldn’t Knit While I Am Being Assaulted by the Medical Profession.

Yesterday I had to get a cortisone shot in my knee, and as I hate having this done, I decided to take my latest OTN sock with me to distract me. I couldn’t knit while the Dr. was injecting my foot; I had to concentrate on not kicking him. There is lidocaine mixed in with the cortisone, but it arrives at the same time as the cortisone does and doesn’t really work anywhere near quickly enough. I did knit as I sat in the exam room after it was over, while the Dr. decided what to do with me next. Then I had to shove the knitting in my purse so that I could hobble down the hall to the room where I waited to make an appointment for an MRI. There was a boy about eight or nine years old there with his mother, and he whispered to her, asking what I was doing. She whispered back that it looked as if I was knitting a sock. His reply? “It’s going to take a really long time to get a sock that way.” Yes, it is, especially now that I have to frog a good bit of it.

Anyway, as I sat there trying not to think about the PAIN, I messed up big time. I came home and tried to sort the whole thing out, but I can’t. If my knee had been working well today, I would have gone to my LYS to get help, but that will have to wait. I should have taken a book, or better yet, just read the mind-numbing People magazine in the office. That’s what they are for, I guess.


#4 More on Plagiarism.

The Dean of Student Affairs at the school where I taught writing just e-mailed me to say that he caught a student plagiarizing her final paper. She failed the course, and when she called to complain about the F, he told her that plagiarism results in failing the course. She replied that it wasn’t her fault. She had asked a friend to write the paper, and the friend hadn’t told her that he had taken the whole thing from Wikipedia. Nice try! She missed the point that taking anyone else’s writing, whether it’s a friend’s or Wikipedia’s, is plagiarism. One of my students plagiarized from Wikipedia also, and I just don’t understand why they consider that to be a legitimate source in the first place!



#5 Why Young People Have Children

Older daughter has three children ages seven and under, and another on the way. She’s not crazy (yet); she and her husband just love kids. But she also has double ear infections and possibly a perforated ear drum. OUCH! But does she farm the kids out, ask her husband to watch them, or otherwise arrange time to recover? Nope. She just keeps going, plus doing the writing job she can do from home. If it were me, as an older parent (and there are lots of them out there---grandparents who have had to take over raising grandchildren, or people who have adopted later in life), I would be sending them out, poorly dressed, to trick-or-treat until someone took them in and fed them. Or I’d put them in foster care.

BAD MAMMA!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm a big washcloth fan, especially for medical knitting. When I want to knit, but can't necessarily follow a pattern, an easily memorized pattern, a wee ball of cotton and my size 6 Takumis, and I'm set.

Suna Kendall said...

The plagiarism story cracked me up completely. I had similar stories from when I taught rhetoric, before computers and wikipedia, even.

Hey, and thanks for the comment on my blog--I appreciate it so much. I teach knitting at the third Austin yarn shop, which is actually in Cedar Park--Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe. It did take a big investment to start the shop (they owner has become a friend). I thought of opening a yarn/coffee place, but with the current economy, people are cutting out on options, and for "regular" people (not us knitaholics), yarn is an option, and travel to yarn shops is, too. Sigh. I do have a book idea, so I'll work on it more while I am between jobs.

Unknown said...

totally agree on the need ot be young when having kids. I waited and sometimes i think I waited too long. I get sooo tired sometimes...

and on the dead guy? can you imagine? Usually I have people waking me up to ask if I want anything (event he one time I have flown 1st class, when i was 8 mo pregnant and exhausted and PISSED when they woke me!)

hokgardner said...

In my defense, I am sending the girls to the neighbors' house this afternoon to play in the sprinkler. Of course, I'll probably go over there too so that I can visit with the other grown-ups. Cheaper than therapy.

Unknown said...

did you see this?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-naperville-central-high-30-may30,0,4525680.story

Unknown said...

sorry, it posted weird

http://www.chicagotribune.com
/news/local/chi-naperville-
central-high-30-may30,
0,4525680.story

you'll have to remove the breaks but now you can see the whole thing

knittergran said...

Even the principal!!! This is just amazing-and sad. I've sent the link on to some other teachers-thanks! I'm really glad they are taking this seriously-what an example for the principal to set-wow.