Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How to Impress Your Family and Friends



I discovered this recipe yesterday when I had my hair cut. My stylist had made these for the shop, and they are yummy. I thought they must have come from some high-end bakery, but nope. And they are easy!

Recipe:

Chocolate bonbon pops

Ingredients for pops:

18 oreos (crush by hand or in a food processor-but not to a powder state)
1 1/2 cups toasted crushed pecans (crush before toasting)
2 tablespoons orange liqueur, orange juice (what's the point?), kahlua, or alcohol of your choice
1 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Coating: one 12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate morsels, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix all of above together in the food processor, or by hand, roll into balls, and put on parchment or waxed paper on baking sheet. Put into freezer for 30 minutes. If you want them to be pops, put lollipop sticks (I have no clue where to get these) in them before putting them into freezer.
The most difficult part is rolling the oreo mixture into balls. It helps to put the pecans in the mix while they are still hot. I also added some coconut to the oreo mixture because I LOVE coconut!

Meanwhile, melt one 12 oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips or morsels with 1 tablespoon shortening.

When pops have cooled, dip them into the chocolate, then put into small cupcake type papers, or, if on sticks, just cover and keep in refrigerator until time to serve.

They turned out really well, and if I do not eat them all (recipe makes about 20) before tomorrow's knit night, I'll take them with me.
(Warning: 1. These are a bit messy to make. 2. There are oreos left after you take eighteen out to use in the recipe.)

1 comment:

Keeffer said...

they do sound good, but if i make them, i'd eat them.