Tuesday, October 23, 2018

For Knitters Only


Unless you are a non-knitter who is bored or someone who has a little free time to fill.

I am finally making progress on the sweater I bought yarn for in 2014.  I think it might even fit, miracle of miracles.


 However, when I got to the sleeve cuffs, the instructions said to use the Kitchener bind off.


Oh sure.  I'm on three needles, y'all.  How the $%^&* does that work? Do I need six needles???  Why not just tell me to fly a plane while I'm at it?  I don't know how to do that either. 


Google to the rescue.  I found a video on using the Kitchener bind off in the round, which is what knitting on three needles actually is.  

For those knitters out there, here it is:


It is genius!  And easy, as long as you pay absolute attention to what you are doing.  I had a couple of spots where I couldn't tell what I had just done, because I looked away AT THE VIDEO while I was knitting.  Don't do that.  Watch it, bind off a few stitches, and watch again if you need to.

I don't understand the technical part of knitting, so I could never have created the Kitchener stitch in the first place, and whoever figured how to do it in the round must have, as my grandson claims about himself, a very big brain.  (He's right about that, says doting grandmother.)

My finished result.  Not as smooth and perfect as the bind off in the video, but this is only my first attempt.  I have one sleeve to go.  Which I now must knit.





4 comments:

jono said...

So you aged the yarn first, correct? So you had this nice aged yarn and were just waiting for the right project. As a non knitter this sounds totally plausible. My stepmother knitted constantly. If she was eating with only one hand above the table I assumed she was knitting with the other very discreetly under the table. Sometimes I wake up thinking I heard the clicking of needles.

knittergran said...

The sound of the clicking needles is kind of a nice memory I think.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Dying to know the pattern name of that sweater! It has all the things I like: wide neck, drop shoulders...

knittergran said...

Hi, It's the Weekender by Andrea Mowry. Easy knit, in spite of my whining about it.