Sunday, August 31, 2008

Georgia On My Mind

I've lived in Georgia for nineteen years. I didn't move here by choice, but because of my husband's job. After all these years, I still don't much like it, but I have friends and activities here, know where the stores are, and have a hairdresser and doctors I like. The reason this area has grown so fast and so large is because companies move here, and the unfortunate employees must follow. After all these years, I still wouldn't choose to live here if I had the choice, and I can't think of any reason anyone would move here if they didn't have to.

Two items in this week's news reinforce my opinion of the area: Clayton County, south of Atlanta, is the first school district in the nation since 1969 to have its accreditation stripped from it; AND there is a road sign on the Georgia side of the Georgia/Alabama border that says that our speed limit laws will be "strickly enforced." Oh, good.

I feel sorry for the parents in Clayton County. Unless they are wealthy enough and can find decent private schools within commuting distance from their homes, they are stuck with schools that are poorly run and poorly performing. If they are homeowners, they can try and sell and move someplace with better schools, but people aren't moving to the area because of the schools.

I don't know the solution to any of this, but I do know that there is a connection between education in Georgia and the sign just inside the state line...

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm also in the Metro area, and I'm so glad I'm not in Clayton Country. What on earth are those children to do? It's unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable that things deteriorated to this point!

Unknown said...

oh seriously? the sign? photo PLEASE!!!!!!!!