Friday, November 14, 2008

Missing: One Spoon


Before my mother-in-law died, she requested that her personal belongings go to her grandchildren, based on what items they requested. Younger daughter asked for this necklace, and since no one else did, she was lucky to receive it. It's beautiful - all the stones are star sapphires. It's hard to tell from the photo, but they are really quite stunning.

Older daughter received my mother-in-law's silver, minus a few pieces that went to younger daughter. DH brought everything back from his mother's home in NY and I spent an evening with everything scattered around me on the carpet in order to sort it all out to mail. The one thing that was a puzzle was the missing baby spoon. The fork was there, engraved with my mother-in-law's initials. Since new baby Elizabeth's middle name is Anne, after her mother and her great-grandmother, I thought that she should have the baby silver.

But where was the spoon? I looked and looked and no luck. Meanwhile, I was sorting out serving pieces and a few odd things, and there was the strangest-looking spoon I had ever seen. What on earth was it for? It was bent really strangely, and I thought that maybe it was for a jam pot or something. No, that wouldn't work....

I pulled out the inventory list: no mention of a bent spoon. Then I pulled out the more complete inventory list that had pictures on it and there was that spoon - it was the missing baby spoon. Weird looking thing, really. I imagined feeding a baby with it, and it would work ok, but I wonder that the parents couldn't just use a normal baby spoon. It has no engraving on it, so I couldn't match it that way, and really, without the photograph, I would never have guessed what it was. Would you have guessed what it was?

No comments: