Friday, June 26, 2009

We were young, we had no money, we possessed the world through sheer enthusiasm.

Isn't that a lovely sentence?

It's in an essay by Garrison Keillor and I wish I had written that sentence. Just sayin'.

Well, I'm back to Georgia, where it is almost as hot as it was in Austin. Yikes!!!

I had a great time in Austin. It was such a treat to see grandchildren (and their parents, of course) EVERY day for two weeks. Little Elizabeth even changed during the two weeks; her body is telling her she must stand up even if her mind doesn't know what the heck she is doing. She gets quite frustrated by her body these days.

I had many knitting-related experiences. I went to three yarn shops and bought things I absolutely must have at each. And I met a blogger. On three separate trips to Austin I have met a blogger: the first was Barb Cooper, who is a wonderful writer and who has even published a book, The Mermaid's Purse, a collection of essays; the second was Wendy Aarons, who writes a really funny blog, but who is sort of shy and understated in person; and on this trip, Suna, who writes about her amazing and prolific knitting. We met her at the shop where she teaches, and she was kind enough to take time to chat with us and to show us around the shop. She is very talented, and I am especially envious of her lace knitting.

The only problem with the trip was my flight back. Why knit? Why knot? That's what I say, and I was very happy to have knitting with me on the flight. We all boarded a full flight, and once the doors closed and we were all trapped in the plane, the pilot announced that there was a thirty-minute ground stop in Atlanta. So I cast on a sock and happily started knitting. Time flew. Then the pilot announced that there was another thirty-minute ground stop in Atlanta. So I kept knitting, just muttering a few not-so-nice thoughts quietly so my seat-mates could not hear me. Then there was a bit more of a ground stop. Grrr......

Once we got going, the flight was short - until we were put in a holding pattern over LaGrange, Georgia. More quietly-muttered not-so-nice thoughts.

And then we landed. Everyone bolted for the exit. As did I. And on the way home, I remembered that I had put the extra dp needles, my favorite dp needles, my Knit Picks Harmony dp needles, in the seatback pocket. And I had left them there. RATS!

So I'm off to the Knit Picks site to order replacements, and a few other things I just must have.....

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I love that sentence, too. I'm also glad you're back and that you had a good time.

Knitting has gotten me through some otherwise painful waiting periods, too!

Suna Kendall said...

I've done that exact same thing. I also once left the instructions for a pattern--the original, not a photocopy, in a seatback. UGH. Glad you had the socks to work on, and certainly VERY glad to have met you! Hope to see you again!