Friday, December 4, 2009

Stupid Should Hurt


says my friend, Kathy, and usually I agree with her, but not today and not me.

Dh has been nagging reminding me that I've been driving around since September with an expired driver's license. Just a few months, but who's counting?

So off I went to the Georgia Drivers Services Department, about twenty miles away, to get my new license. Dh had also told me that there was someone new in charge of Drivers' Services, and that he had made changes so that no one would wait more than ten minutes in line. HAH!!! I arrived, found a LINE that ran outside the office onto the sidewalk in the cold. As we stood in line, we all entertained ourselves by complaining about the line.

Now here's where stupid comes in. Had I ever actually looked at my license to verify that it was, in fact, expired? Nope. Dh is generally so OCD concerned about these things that I took him at his word.

When I fished my license out of the mess that is my purse, I looked at the date. It expires, as you can see, in September of 2010.

As I muttered about how my license hadn't actually expired and then walked away, I heard laughing from my fellow drivers. It was justified; I had earned it. And I realized that not-so-deep down, they were jealous. I got to leave. They had to stay.

But no pain, please; I've suffered enough.

3 comments:

hokgardner said...

That is hysterical and completely something I would do!

Runner Dude said...

BTW - if you renew your BEFORE your birthday you can renew it on line.

Susan said...

My husband and I found out ours were expired when we went to rent a truck - both of us had expired and we didn't know it. Nice that your husband is trying to be tuned in!