Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Am I a Great Mom or What?

"Why?" you might wonder.

Why, it's because I offered to buy my daughters their first Botox injections!

Yes, they are both thirty-something and have NO wrinkles that I've ever noticed. So why?

They both have incapacitating migraines and are on all sorts of (to me) scary drugs: to prevent the migraines; to stop the migraines once they begin; and to deaden the excruciating pain when nothing else works.

I have read about the discovery by doctors who kept hearing from their Botox patients (who were treating wrinkles) that those who had suffered from migraine pain were not suffering from it when they had had Botox injections. So more and more doctors are using it for migraines. It is not yet DEA approved, but some insurance companies cover Botox for use for migraines when the doctors apply for permission to use it as a medical necessity. So far, neither of my daughter's insurance companies has made a decision, but older daughter's neurologist told her that he would rather have her use Botox than be on all of the strong medications she currently needs to treat the migraines.

She has an appointment on Friday. My fingers are crossed that this will at least mitigate some of the problems. Botox doesn't cure migraines; so far there is no cure. But it does treat the pain portion of migraines, and that's a big deal.

But really, how many mothers offer to buy Botox for their daughters???

photo from rfp123.com

Also, I thank everyone who has left comments or sent e-mails about my cat. You have been really kind. I keep looking out the back door, expecting to see Lewis patiently waiting to be let back in.......

5 comments:

calicobebop said...

Best. Mom. Ever. Are you open to adoption? :) Glad to hear that your daughters will (hopefully) have some relief!

Unknown said...

I really hope it works for them.

As for Lewis, I know exactly what you mean. I still look for Juice sometimes. And I did see her, two or three times after she was gone, fleeting orange in the corner of my eye. And one night she rubbed my elbow when I was in bed...i think they are still with us.

Susan said...

My daughter had her first migraine last week - I will keep this in mind should the time come.

Suna Kendall said...

You ARE a great mom. And I wanted to say I was sorry to hear about Lewis. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet and especially if you have to make the decision to end their lives. I am still broken up from my corgi's passing last year.

Barb Matijevich said...

I still look for Sydney and she's been gone well over a year. I guess that's how they live on.

I am going to look into the Botox because my migraines are really getting out of control.