Sunday, May 16, 2010

Buyer Beware?

I bought this Pagewood Farm, Hand Dyed Yarn, Willow Creek Green at Wildfiber in Santa Monica; younger daughter picked it out for a scarf. Now I suppose that this is partly my fault, but I made the mistake of ASSUMING that there were four ounces/400 yards of yarn because someone had corrected the printed label and written in the correct yardage for 4 ounces by hand.

Apparently I should have understood that all the label really meant was that for each stated weight, there was the stated amount of yarn.


When I weighed the yarn at home, after I became suspicious that the small ball I had wound could truly be 400 yards, I discovered that the ball contains only 2.29 ounces. Nowhere on the label is there printed any other weight/yardage than what is shown in the photo above.

I have bought some mohair to use with this yarn in order to have enough for the scarf, but I'm wondering, are we supposed to carry gram/ounce scales with us to yarn shops now???

(And can I blame making this mistake on the intoxication caused by yarn fumes???)

Update: I have heard from my knitting friend, L, who also works at the LYS, and she says that the label tells me (in handwriting) that I am buying 400 yards of yarn, not four ounces, and that the 2.29 ounces I got when I weighed the yarn sounds right. So it's just confusing labelling (in my not-so-humble opinion) and I did get what I paid for.

So.......... never mind!!!

Update #2: I've just had an e-mail from Pagewood Farm, and in part it said: We believe that we should have made the label clearer and we are doing that in the future . We appreciate you taking the time to let us know this.

And they didn't even call me an idiot or anything!!!

No comments: