Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Knitters Can Be Strange People



At least this knitter can be.

My Mohs surgery went well yesterday except that it took an hour and a half less time than it was scheduled for (3 hours). And this seriously cut into my knitting time!

Mohs surgery involves having a microscopically thin layer of tissue removed and then waiting for the biopsy results to see if the surgeon needs to remove more tissue. It's all done in one appointment and the goal is to remove as little tissue as possible. The doctor performed the surgery and then told me it would be a half an hour before she had the results.

So I settled in to knit on the Satan Sasha skirt. My phone was off; Dh had not come with me; I had nothing to do but sit and knit. Perfect....... But then there was a knock on the door and the surgeon and three other staff were there.

Me: It hasn't been a half an hour.

Surgeon: No, you're lucky. We were able to get to this right away. We got it all. We'll bandage you up and you are set to go.

Me: But it hasn't been a half an hour yet.

Surgeon: (probably thinking "Bless her heart, she must be a bit slow.") No, you are LUCKY. You are finished!

So home I went, with far less knitting accomplished than I had expected.

I can't do anything strenuous for two weeks-knitting is not strenuous, right???

And it's a good thing I can knit and knit and knit because I think I might have to rip out the fifteen inches or so I have knit on the skirt. Before I started working on it, I was a very good knitter and made a swatch. (I NEVER make swatches!) Then I washed and dried the swatch. (I NEVER wash and dry swatches because I NEVER make swatches!) My knitting was just a bit too tight. So I ignored the swatch and started knitting. (This is why I NEVER make swatches!) Somehow, the circumference of the waistband was correct, so I went ahead with the body of the underskirt, which is now FOUR inches too small. I'm calling the store I bought the yarn and pattern from later to see if by any sort of blocking miracle, this will work.

But I suspect that I should have paid attention to the swatch and changed needle size. I think I will be starting over.............................



1 comment:

Unknown said...

starting over...exactly why I don't knit