Thursday, March 4, 2010

Errata




One of these days, I need to learn to read first, knit or whatever, next. These two blocked squares have become a ring pillow for a friend's daughter's wedding, but it wasn't easy.

The directions were written for the back of the pillow, and no problem there. It worked up quite nicely.

Then I started to work on the front, using the chart for the heart design.

Uh, just a thought, but shouldn't the charted directions and the written directions have the same number of rows in them? I think so. I had to re-do the chart (below) by changing the numbers, and by adding eight more rows to the charted design.



The chart called for six rows of seed stitch above and below the center stockinette field. The written directions called for ten. It does sort of make sense to have fewer rows since knit stitches are taller than they are wide, but I had already made the back, so I followed the written directions and used ten rows top and bottom.

Then yesterday, Thursday morning (the shower is tomorrow - Saturday), I turned over the right hand page for the first time, and discovered that the two squares are crocheted together. Oooops. No crocheter I, although I did once take a class on crocheted edging at my LYS; I think it was a couple of years ago. Since I don't really remember how long ago it was, guess how much I remember of the actual class material. (not much)


I took the book to last night's knit-night, and one of the women who works there reviewed the instructions with me, and this morning I put it all together (only taking out the crocheted edging twice), added the ribbon, and it's ready to go to the shower tomorrow.


The pillow is made from a pattern in Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders, and from 2/5 Gemstone Silk from Halcyon Yarns. It's real silk, produced by some specific silkworms in Japan, turned into yarn in Switzerland, and dyed in Bath, Maine. I am very happy with the finished product, but next time I have a date that something is due, I won't wait so long to get it started. And I'll check for errors in the pattern first.

See, old dogs can learn new tricks.....
[Note: I just looked on Ravelry to see what other knitters have made from this lovely yarn. Only one other knitter has made the ring pillow. Another knitter made a thong. I don't know what to say.]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I almost didn't read this whole post because I don't knit and knitting problems make my head hurt (like math) but I SO GLAD I did, cause now I get to imagine a knitted thing all day!!

Mary said...

the pillow did turn out beautifully! (and I am STILL LAUGHING about that "other" project on ravelry...truly priceless)

lornamorris said...

It is really precious work that you have done because your pillow is looking like it is made for any precious person. The white color is adding more beauty to it so there is no chances that any one can say that I do not like it.
fitflops