Monday, January 28, 2013

There are no stupid questions,

just stupid people.

No, not really.  I heard someone say it once and I thought I'd share.

You're welcome.

However, the only stupid questions are the unasked questions, so here goes:
Why is it that we consider that the earth looks like this:


rather than like this?:

Who decided this?

A friend of mine returned recently from Australia and New Zealand, and she told me that she was having trouble adjusting to all the time zone changes and from "being upside down."  Joking, of course.  But who says that those who live below the equator are upside down?  Maybe we are, here in North America.

Is there a scientific reason?  Did more influential people live north of the equator?  More bossy people?

Seems to me it could have gone either way.

Sure is pretty though.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

I visited Russia when I was in college, and the maps in the bookstore were all centered on Russia, rather than North America. Logical, but disconcerting at first.