Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lessons Learned

Lesson #1: The Universe does NOT care what I say or do. There is no bad Karma. (I still hope there is good Karma) How do I know this? Take a look at the repaired stocking and look at yesterday's before picture. Jan, our knitting guru and GENIUS, repaired it so well that the repair is very close to invisible. Yay!!! I do not have to knit my half-millionth and one(th) stocking. Whew....


Lesson #2: How to repair a large hole. I watched very carefully as Jan used sewing thread (less visible) rather than yarn to weave through all the loops. She then pulled the two ends of the broken yarn to the inside, tied them, and sewed them down to the inside fabric so that they will never come loose again. She also had a second method she would have used if this hadn't worked: pull out a bit more of the knitting at the bottom of the hole, knit however many rows necessary on those few stitches, and then use the kitchener stitch to graft the top and bottom of the hole together. Wow! I would never have thought of that.

It's good to know very clever people who are generous enough to want to share their skills!

AND, I was tagged by Calicobebop, so now I have to do some thinking in order to write that post....that gives me something to do while I'm knitting.

3 comments:

calicobebop said...

Hoo Ray! The stocking is saved!! It's a post-Christmas Miracle!!

I'm happy you were able to fix it - looks like it never happened!

Mary Ellen said...

I am so impressed! And jealous again.

That looks absolutely perfect!

Keeffer said...

i will say- i'm impressed.