Friday, January 2, 2009

Two Finished Projects

This hat is proof that you can really screw up a pattern and still end up with a hat. The pattern was given to me verbally, and I scribbled the directions down when I got home from knitting. It calls for 112 stitches, knit on size 7 circular (and then dps) needles, five inches of 4 x 4 ribbing, then 2 1/2 to 3 inches of stockinette, and then: knit 8, knit 2 together on round one, knit round two, repeat. What is considered known (but not by me) is that on each subsequent decrease row, you knit one less stitch, then knit two together. (i.e. k8, k2tog/k7, k2tog/k6, k2tog, etc.)

Fortunately, I was at knit night, held yesterday afternoon at a knitter friend's house since the LYS was closed, and mentioned that it was taking a long time to decrease enough to need dp needles. That is when I learned my mistake. My friends told me to just jump to k4, k2tog and go from there rather than frogging the whole top of the hat. Whew. ... I finished it up and it looks like a hat!
This is the mystery knitting I did for younger daughter, whose taste is always a guessing game for me. It's a loopy scarf, made with Twinkle extra chunky yarn, on size 17 and 19 needles. The red is gorgeous but doesn't show up well in this photo. Unfortunately for me, she loved it, so I didn't get to keep it. But fortunately, she loved it, so I get to knit another one! Now I have to decide what color.

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

Hey, that hat looks perfectly great to me! And I absolutely love the big, loopy scarf. I don't think I've ever seen yarn like that.