Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Pictures Don't Do Them Justice









or: I can't get a decent picture.






A knitter friend told me how to make bowls from old records. I would say that it is idiot easy, but that would make me an idiot.

Her instructions: Take an old record. Put it on a bowl. Put it in an oven pre-heated to 275 degrees. In under three minutes you will have a bowl, shaped more or less like the bowl you put the record on.

However, the first time I tried this, I looked at the bowl. I looked at the record. I looked at the bowl again. I looked at the record again. Hmmmm.... The record is large and flat. The top of the bowl is large and flat. So that means put the record on top of the upright bowl. Turn on the oven light, sit on the floor and watch what happens. Hmmmm....not much.

The light bulb in my brain clicked on! The record won't melt into the bowl; it will melt over the bowl.

So I turned the bowl upside down, centered the record on top, and in under three minutes, had a bowl.

My sister and her two adult children are coming for a visit this weekend. My sister LOVES Olivia Newton-John. Me? Not so much. She also loves Jimmy Buffett. She will be the proud and thrilled new owner of record bowls.

Woohoo!!!

4 comments:

hokgardner said...

Now wait a minute - is the bowl upside-down and you melt the record over it, or rightside-up and you melt the record into it? I'm confused. Really.

And may I remind you, you're the one who bought that Olivia Newton John album!

calicobebop said...

How cool is that? Tell me you didn't sacrifice Xanadu - that is sacred! :)

Unknown said...

shrinky dinks!!!!

Mary Ellen said...

I love this idea. I always learn things on your blog. I'm off to see what bowls I can make out of the Bee Gee's (disco's dead, right?)