Monday, July 6, 2009

It's looking a lot like lace


and that's a good thing, since that's what I set out to knit! After my last lace-knitting adventure, I thought that I might never try lace again, but I'm nothing if not stubborn. Which is why, when I decided to learn to ski, I ignored all the crying and bruises, and kept going back up mountains (small ones) in order to fall over and over again on the way back down. After lots and lots of effort, I became a very-below-average skier. Yay me!

So this is my newest attempt at lace and it's going sort of well: not much swearing, lots of counting, no crying or bruises. The pattern is called, plainly enough, Peruvian Tweed Shawl, and the pattern calls for - surprise, surprise - Peruvian Tweed yarn. It's great soft yarn, 100% superfine alpaca, spun in Peru, and a skein of it has a whopping 600 yards of yarn. I had named it Hank and was keeping it as a pet, but it kept calling out that it really wanted fulfill its purpose and become something.

It's becoming a shawl but I'm not sure I am old enough to wear a shawl. Maybe I'll call it a wrap instead.

3 comments:

calicobebop said...

Hooray for lace! It looks lovely!

Mary Ellen said...

I think it looks terrific! You are definitely not old enough for a shawl, but as long as it's a wrap, you're okay.

Suna Kendall said...

My current pet is some shetland laceweight. I keep patting it. I do understand the urge.