Friday, September 11, 2009

I Might Be Simple-Minded

My family would ask "Might be?" but don't listen to them.

But why do I think I might be?

Because I’ve just been watching my washing machine….again. It has a clear top, so I can look in while the machine is running...and I do. I’m trying to figure out how it works. It’s a top-loading front washer and it is a mystery to me. I put the clothes in (in heaps, per the instructions) and the soap in, and the washer sprays in a small amount of water, then spins really, really fast, then suddenly stops, sprays in some more water, and on it goes, repeating the whole process for almost half the cycle. Then the drum wobbles back and forth, then spins, then……never mind, it’s boring, I know. But so far, it works just fine, and I am convinced that there might be magic involved.

The instruction book says that this washer has an “invisible agitator.” I am not making this up – an invisible agitator. Doesn’t that mean it doesn’t exist, since something like that can’t really be invisible???

A friend of mine wants me to put in intentionally-soiled items: an old towel with blueberry and strawberry stains, a cloth with salad dressing on it, and the like. A pop quiz for the washer. But if I am to believe that there is such a thing as an invisible agitator, then I would just prefer to believe there is magic involved.

So, no pop quiz, and I’m off to resume watching the laundry….

3 comments:

calicobebop said...

Oh, I like the idea of "magic" myself. Who needs science? What matters is results!!

Mrs. G. said...

I was just telling my husband that my kids treat me like I am brain damaged. I'm glad I'm not the only questioned by blood.

Unknown said...

for the price of washers these days, there better damn well be magic involved...