Friday, September 19, 2008

Mistakes Were Made

Many, many mistakes were made. First, there was this:The pattern calls for a garter stitch edge but I had purled a row on the back instead of having knit it. My knit night friends told me not to rip out the whole thing, but to just put pins in each of the stitches that needed to be ripped back and then repair each column row by row. OK. I put in the pins. And blessed FSM that I had been using Knit Picks interchangeable needles. I could just unscrew the needle itself from the cord and put a stopper on the cord.

Then I started ripping out one column (probably not the correct term) at a time. This is knitted in two strands of yarn at once, and one of them is mohair yarn. Very difficult to rip out. I once stopped knitting for about ten years because I was stuck on a black mohair sweater and wouldn't let myself start another project until I finished that one. (Knitters, stop laughing!) I never finished that sweater, but that's another story for another time. I am a knitting coward; I am terrified to frog anything, and I have never done this type of repair before.
But as I said, mistakes---plural---were made. After one hour, I finally got two columns put back together and then noticed that I had skipped one whole row of yarn. So out came the two columns. I re-did the first two columns and slowly finished the third and fourth. Partway through the fourth, I came across a strand of yarn not attached to anything. A cut end! Where this came from I have no idea, but that end sabotaged the rest of the repair. I found the other cut end, knotted the two together, and decided to stop before I did any more damage.
It is repaired to the best of my ability. I know I should consider this a learning experience, but I swear to DOG, what I have learned is: next time this sort of thing happens, I will call it a "design element" and move on.

2 comments:

SQM said...

....thanx for showing that....i've not seen that before....good way to fix a problem....

hokgardner said...

I believe that tense is referred to as the "past exonerative."