Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cooking Post

I never thought I would write a cooking post, because, well, I'm not much of a cook. Take out is my favorite meal. And after my chicken-on-the-grill adventure (not enough coals, coals on one side of the chicken no longer burning so I had to keep opening the grill---losing heat---to turn the chicken around), I was sure I'd never write about cooking. But today, I had a success, largely by chance of course, and I just wanted to share.

I need croutons for dinner, and there were only the boxed varieties (yuck, unless you like chemical flavors) at the grocery store. So I took some soon-to-be stale bread, cut it into cubes, and put the cubes on a baking sheet sprayed with PAM. Then I poured a liberal amount of olive oil over them, topped them off with garlic salt, and popped them in a 300 degree oven. While I was reading other blogs, I occasionally remembered to check and turn the croutons, and after about 20 minutes or so, they were done! They are cooling on a paper towel because I apparently added way too much olive oil, and next time I would add more spices, perhaps. But all in all, I'm quite happy with them and they were easy.

I have a feeling that most other people know how to make croutons, but for me it was a new adventure, and I thought I should share. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind comment on my blog. It's good to know that the clear headed thinking reaches down into the deep south. Apparently it's too cold in Alaska to use one's brain.

Unknown said...

congrats on not burning them!

(and it is NOT too cold up here to think by the way)

Mrs. G. said...

Croutons are like potato chips to me...I can't have just one.