Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Well, I swan!!!

But I don't swear...


What my inquiring mind wants to know is: Do people really buy a washer and a dryer at the same time? The stores all sell sets of them, matching in style and color.

It turns out that my washer isn't leaking water; it is leaking transmission fluid (who knew a washer had transmission fluid?) and if I continued to use it, said the salesperson, the next place it would leak was up through the agitator and then the fluid would spray out over my laundry.

I researched and researched, compared and compared, and bought a new washer. A top-loading front-loader. Yep, such a thing exists; it works the way a front-loader does but loads from the top. It uses 16 gallons of water per load instead of the 40-50 gallons my dead washer used. We have been through a multi-year drought here, AND the courts say that in three years, the Atlanta area will no longer be able to take its water from Lake Lanier. Where we will get water from is anyone's guess right now. So the less water we use, the better.

But for each washing machine, there is a dryer. And I repeat, does anyone buy these things in sets? My dryer died a couple of years ago, and I bought..... a dryer. Now my washing machine is dead, and I've bought ..... a washer. Who says, "Oh, my washer is dead. I'll go buy a new washer and dryer - so they'll match."? (Not sure that punctuation is correct-hokgardner?)

My new washer arrives tomorrow - Yay! - and my at-least-twenty-five year-old one goes to a better place...recycling I think.

No comments: