Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Too Dark to Clean the House

Really, it is! We had five inches of rain here yesterday (note to rain gods: enough is more than enough, already!) and it's raining again today, not as hard as it did yesterday, but it is rain and it is dark. Too dark to clean, I say. Dh is off at some sort of industry event today, and I thought it would be a good time to clean. But it would be very selfish of me to use enough electricity to light the house enough to see what I am doing. Right??? I thought so. I wouldn't want to have a huge carbon footprint just because I decided to clean.

But I suppose it would be OK to use just one light bulb in order to knit. It's one of those spirally energy-saving bulbs, so I would have just a tiny, tiny carbon footprint, just a little toe really.

I have one hat to finish so that I can give my three granddaughters matching pink hats for Christmas. The sizes are a bit iffy; I'm working from an adult's pattern and guessing at how many stitches to cast on for each of the girls. I think I may wrap them as one gift and tell the girls to take whichever one fits.

The almost-elephant hat is for my grandson. The pattern is from 101 Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders and is supposed to fit most toddlers. It knits up to a 16" circumference. My three-year old grandson's head circumference is 22", which is larger than many adults' sizes. As a result, I've had to wing it and make it larger - I hope it's large enough - and then make the trunk and ears larger so they will be in scale. I've made the trunk, bought the felt eyes, and just have to make the ears in order to finish the hat. I hope it fits....If not, perhaps sweet Elizabeth would like to wear an elephant hat!


Another project I have almost finished is this Monaco sweater from Rowan's 30th Anniversary book. It's a gorgeous book, a coffee table book really. This sweater is for younger daughter. She picked it out when she was here in July but I just started it recently. I have the back, sleeves and left front finished, with just the right front and border to go. The border band and collar are knit separately, in garter stitch, and then whip-stitched on after the other pieces are sewn together. I love the sweater, although I think it's meant to fit more like a jacket.

So, off to knit, and maybe to swim later....in the back yard perhaps, if it doesn't stop raining!

3 comments:

calicobebop said...

Way to go! Saving energy is WAY more important than house cleaning!

Love the elephant hat! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Unknown said...

oooooh, I love the elefunt hat and the sweater! My mom made me a lovely sweater and hat while she was here but my camera died so i can't show you...

Sigrun said...

I love the eco-logic. The kids knits are awesome. I like the Rowan sweater because its just a bit roomier than a shrug, yet not a full sweater. It could be worse than rain--it could be snow. I came home in a freezing-rain blizzard tonight--50 miles at 45mph. It's really unnerving weeing the cars rolled in the ditch.