Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another Addict Waiting to be Born

I recently received an e-mail from my niece, M, who complimented me on the hat I knit for Elizabeth. She also commented on other projects I have written about on my blog, and used lots of words like gorgeous, beautiful, I love it and so on.

Then my favorite niece said that she would like to learn to knit and that maybe I could teach her the next time we get together. Well, yes I can! However, she lives in Florida, has two children, and I live in Georgia. Getting together anytime soon may not happen and so I am searching high and low for a knitting CD or DVD (I never can tell the difference) that I bought a few years ago when I was trying to refresh my memory on various knitting skills. I can't find it. I'm a big believer in a place for everything and everything in its place, and I am really, really frustrated that I can't find this CD/DVD. I thought that maybe I had sent it to older daughter when she started knitting, but she claims that I didn't and that she doesn't have it. Hmmmm....

I can direct M to the web for all sorts of knitting videos and they may help. But she will be in big trouble if she does take up knitting. She said that she sees beautiful yarns at Michaels, and wishes she could use them for something. I know there are some pretty yarns there, but WAIT till she sees what is in specialty yarn shops. All the beautiful Noro, Araucania, Be Sweet, Rowan, and too-many-others-to-name yarns. Once she sees those, and breathes in all those yarn fumes, she will be an addict.

So I'll keep searching for the CD/DVD and keep encouraging her to look up online instructional videos. I'm nothing if not an enabler!

[Fair warning: Do NOT go to any knitting/sheep and wool festivals with me unless you want to come home with lots of yarn and yarn accessories (with a nod to King of the Hill).]

3 comments:

calicobebop said...

Ah yes... the allure of pretty yarn. I have a huge "stash" at home waiting for projects. Just can't seem to find enough time in the day!

Keeffer said...

mom,

you're also a believer of not keeping anything you don't need. 10 bucks says you threw out that CD/DVD because you know how to knit and didn't need it.

this is why i fear for everything i've left stored in the basement.

Mary Ellen said...

We have llama and alpaca farms near my house, and talk about gorgeous yarn! I could be very very poor if I wasn't so careful!