Sunday, February 22, 2009

Maybe There's a Pill for This.

No, not for the new stash.

I was in Austin last weekend and two knitting shops there had Mini Mochi, which my LYS was out of and was not getting any in until April! So I bought two colorways of that (106 and 108) and a skein of Rio de la Plata, kettle-dyed sock yarn from Uruguay. It's really soft and I'm curious to see what it will look like knitted up.

So, nope, not for the stash. Stash is a good thing. Stash is a necessity.

But you will notice a row counter in the photo; it's attached to the sock I'm working on. I know lots of sock-knitters, but only one of them, Jan, a knitting designer and teacher, uses a counter. No one else I know uses a counter, and I tried, I really tried, not to be so compulsive with this pair of socks. I should be able to eyeball the cuff and foot. I took off the counter after I turned the heel and tried to go without it. I just couldn't. I had to put it back on.

I think that maybe I'm an undiagnosed OCD knitter.

4 comments:

Keeffer said...

I think if jan uses a counter you're fine using a counter too. The fact that you think there's something wrong with it is what makes it a problem.

Ann in NJ said...

Isn't knitting supposed to be fun and relaxing and there are no knitting police? If using a row counter makes you happy, use a row counter. I just never can remember to click it when I finish a round. But I did count rows on the finished sock and put markers every ten rows on the second one, so that's not any better than you!

Mary Ellen said...

I'd use a row counter if I could remember to click it. For me, it just causes more stress because tI wonder, 'did I click it?' and then I try to count...

It works better for me if I just eyeball the thing. So far, nobody has noticed any one sock being shorter, which may mean my method works, or that my family is not very observant!

knittergran said...

I forget to click the row counter too, and that's what makes it especially odd that I must use it. I know it's not an accurate count, and somehow, that doesn't bother me.