Monday, March 30, 2009

PSA

Older daughter sent me this information the Friday before last, and the e-mail also included a new sign of stroke - the inability of the person to stick his tongue out straight. I share this, as well as the signs below with you, because, as I found out, you never know when you will need it:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.
T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)
R *Ask him to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
(and the fourth, new command, *STICK OUT HIS TONGUE)

If he has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A few hours after I read the e-mail, a college friend of mine arrived for a visit. We have known each other for about forty years, and we always enjoy visits to each other's homes. However, about 45 minutes after she arrived, she kept saying she was really, really tired. Suddenly, her speech was slurred and her head slowly tipped down onto the kitchen table. She didn't respond to our calling out her name.

I called 911 while my husband kept her from falling on the floor. She would come out of whatever it was, and during one brief period of lucidity, she was able to do three of the things listed above (I forgot the "smile" command). But then she would pass out again.

The ambulance came quickly and we live only 1.6 miles from a very good hospital, so she was well taken care of. But it was really frightening. The doctors and the ambulance EMTs at first assumed that she had had a heart attack or stroke, and she remained overnight at the hospital. Apparently it was neither of these things; it was something called a Vasovagal Syncope and it can happen to anyone anytime. It's not serious (phew!) but it sure is scary.

And even though she did not have a stroke, I was glad that I had had such a recent reminder of the four questions to ask; I would never have remembered otherwise.

I hope you never need the information, but if you do, now you have it.

No comments: