Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ah Wisteria!

We were warned, after we planted wisteria to grow up the posts to the deck and arbor, that we shouldn't have done that. Thanks!

Once a year, for about a week and a half, it is beautiful, covering the arbor and making this lovely, sweet-smelling, lavender curtain over the steps.

I really do love it.


But then there's this:


I have learned in years past that it is just easier to leave the leaf-blower on the deck, so that once a dozen or so times a day, I can blow the debris off.

And not to anthropomorphize or anything, but why does wisteria hate us???

In addition to dropping pounds of debris on the deck, it has taken the end of the arbor and pulled it downward. It's trying to take down the very structure on which it lives! It has also tried mightily to take down the gutters on the back of the house in its attempt to get up onto the roof of the house.

Once the blooms are gone, we (the royal we - I mean dH of course) will fix this and that will require taking down some of the trunks of the wisteria.

And I think I will buy a machete!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I know it is invasive and messy and ugly in the winter, but I still love it!